Not all taps are equipped with flexible pipes some have copper pipes fitted to them. Unlike flexible pipes, the connection is continuous and direct between the tap and the main supply.
If you are thinking of changing your tap to have copper connections, you must contact a professional for help because due to the metal surface the work requires a lot of strength and patience working. Cutting a copper pipe consumes much of your energy and requires skills.
On the other hand, if you are confident enough and have extraordinary skills, we got your back. Just go through our guide on how you can change kitchen tap copper pipes by yourself.
- Copper pipe cutter
- A Jigsaw
- Adjustable wrench
- Flexible pipes
- A valve
Steps To Change a Kitchen Tap Copper Pipes
When people ask me how to change a faucet that has a copper pipe, what they mean is how to cut the copper pipes? How to connect an isolation valve? And how can flexible steel hoses be installed?
If you fall into the same category, keep reading to get all of your answers, just in a single article.
- EMPTY THE SPACE
- TURN OFF THE WATER SUPPLY
- REMOVE THE TAP NUT
- CUT THE COPPER
- FIX ISOLATION VALVES
- CHANGE THE COPPER PIPE
- RECHECK THE CONNECTION
To perform the work more cleanly and comfortably, pick up any unnecessary items placed beneath the sink surface. In the cupboard, people often store detergents, empty bottles, oils and bags. Place these items somewhere safe and clean the clutter spread around.
This is the most basic step; you need to disconnect the water supply from the primary inlet. Since the process deals with water pipes and tap, it is crucial to turn it off.
- Turn off the water supply.
- Once you switched off the supply, eliminate the remaining water in pipes by opening the seal of a tap.
Under the sink surface, find a point through which the tap and the copper pipe makes a connection. Usually, a nut holds this seal, and you need to remove the nut to disconnect the tap and the copper pipe.
- Since the material is hard enough to handle by fingers, use an adjustable wrench to loosen the screw and by continuously rotating it anticlockwise, the tap and the copper pipe will be disconnected.
Here comes the main step which will cost you your situation handling skills. Always keep in mind that you need to separate both ends of a copper pipe. The first we made by removing one nut and the other side can be isolated by cutting the remaining part of the copper pipe.
- Pick up a jigsaw or special copper tube cutter and begin the procedure.
- Carefully cut the pipe by pushing the tool down a bit.
Great! We are done with removing part of a copper pipe. Take the isolation valves and attach them to the waterline opening. Follow the given steps to install the valve:
- Clean the end of the pipe and smooth it with sandpaper.
- Put on the compression nut on the pipe and make use of a thread in case you find the fitting issues.
- Now attach the valve by tightening the compression nut with an adjustable wrench.
- Close the valve.
You are all set to make new changes to your kitchen tap. Take the flexible pipes and attach them to the tap. To connect flexible hoses to the tap, simply go through the further guide.
- Fix the pipe at the base of a tap opening, rotate the tightening bolt with a spanner to ensure that the seal has properly closed.
- Take the other end of the flexible pipe and connect it to the isolation valves.
- With the help of spanners tighten the connection between the valves and the flexible pipe.
Recheck the attachments to confirm that all points are securely fixed. Tighten the screws in case you find any issues. At last, turn the water supply on and enjoy a nice and gentle flow of water.
Benefits Of Copper Pipes
Copper pipes used in water supply pipes are traditional and can be seen in most homes. They are durable and can easily handle temperature fluctuations. Though copper pipes are costly, with good quality and eco-friendly approach, it’s a basic choice among householders. Also, you can sell the old pipes at a good price.
Disadvantages Of Copper Pipes
Copper pipes do not have isolation valves, which complicates the installation, removal or updating of copper pipes. Taps with Cooper pipes are having rigid fitting than taps with flexible hoses. Thus, treating a tap with copper pipes can be difficult.
The other problem with a copper connection of the taps is that the internal material corrodes easily due to which water blockage may occur.