A knife is the most important tool in all kitchens. A good knife is a best friend of a chef and it’s never a waste of money if you invest it in good quality and sharp knives. If you buy a sharp and quality knife, it can go on for years, but a knife with poor edges may become blunted in a short time or even break. In such cases, instead of throwing the knife directly into the trash can, make a few extra steps for safety and security. Before disposing of old unnecessary knives, make sure they are protected and covered with a hard and closed package to prevent any kind of external and internal injury.
When you openly throw knives in the garbage, it can harm both people and animals. Garbage collectors may come into contact with sharp blades that can harm them externally. On the other hand, stray animals such as dogs, cows and horses can undoubtedly consume them, which can lead to serious internal injuries. It is our responsibility to ensure the safe disposal of knives. It is not necessary to mean that you can only get rid of the knives by throwing them, but can adapt several ways to eliminate the kitchen knives.
PACK THE KNIVES
Packing knives while the disposal is the common technique people follow. Since it is simple and easy to pack the knives, we will first discuss different methods of doing so.
- Use a newspaper, maximum 6-7 pages for advanced security.
- Spread the paper on a table and place the knives on the top.
- Roll the newspaper and fold it on either side to secure the packaging.
- This method is commercial and lasts about 5-10 minutes.
2. WRAP IN RAGS:
- If you have rags in the store, it’s time to bring them out and put them to work.
- Take pieces of clothes and make 5-6 layers together.
- Cover the knives with a heavy roll of cloths.
- Knot the ends to secure the wrapping.
3. USAGE OF OLD BAGS:
In case, you have some unused items such as:
- A cloth bag,
- Leather bags,
- Plastic bags
- Jute bags and
- Other textile bags
- You can make proper use of them in the disposal of cooking knives.
- Put the knives in the bags and shut up nice and tight.
- Words like “SHARP” can be written over the bag.
- Using cardboard to throw away cooking knives is a commendable approach as it is a hard material and can be used easily by folding it.
- Secure the knives between the thick coverings of cardboard.
- Bend the cardboard ends and write the active words over them.
5. USING A TAPE:
- A knife may be covered by tape on the blades. This will reduce and almost end the effect of cutting blades.
- Take a heavy and thick tape and wrap it around the blade of a knife.
- Now, carefully put it in the dustbin.
6. PLASTIC BOTTLES:
- Plastic bottles may be used to throw away kitchen knives by simply putting a knife inside them.
- Be sure to tighten the bottle opening tightly.
NON-BIO DEGRADABLE BINS
You are now aware that how you can pack the knives and throw them in the trash. With it, one needs to know what type of bins they use for the disposal of kitchen knives. The bins are broken down into two categories.
- GREEN COLOURED BINS
- BLUE COLOURED BINS
- The green coloured bins are designed for collecting degradable waste such as fruit peels, rags, paper, animal waste, etc.
- Blue coloured bins are non-biodegradable bins and can be used to carry items that cannot be disposed of easily like metals, plastic, glass and other harsh objects.
- To dispose of kitchen knives, always opt for the blue coloured bins.
Nowadays almost every item can be exchanged easily to take another item. In this, you give your item you think is good, but not your usage. Similarly, kitchen knives that you think are of no use but can still be used to make it good for industries can be exchanged.
Find suitable websites or contractors and hand over your items to them and take desirable items in exchange.
You can make money selling knives to a scrap metal salvage company. Just be aware of the conditions they follow while taking items such as metal and sharp objects.
Since knives are pricey and a good tool, they can be sold at a good cost.
Sell as many knives as you want, making sure the salesperson gives you a good amount of money back.
You probably heard about giving out knives instead of throwing them away. Donation is powerful and it makes you a good person. In case, you have purchased new sharp knives and do not want to use the old ones, despite their good conditions, you can simply donate them.
- Call a denoting centre and ask them the need and the location to pick up.
- You can also use a donation box that says “Donating Metal and Cutting Tools”.
- Ensure that knives are thoroughly cleaned, washed and packaged before dispensing.